You are Here :
Home Page > Departments > Research and Development Department
Research and Development Department
AIIPMR is one of the Institutes of the country recognised by department of Science & Technology
The Institute encourages and promotes research in medical rehabilitation among staff and students, Projects are undertaken in the area of medical and surgical techniques, therapeutic interventions, new designs and materials in the manufacture of aids & appliances to suit the environment as well as the social & psychological aspects of disability have contributed to advances in technology.
Collaborative Research projects with W.H.O., I.C.M.R. I.I.T., Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment & N.G.Os among others, are some of the hallmarks in Research & Development activities.
The Institute has been instrumental in implementing several collaborative research projects in Community Based Rehabilitation (CBR) in the rural area as well as Urban Slums. The institute is currently Involved in Development of training module for peripheral health workers with regard to CBR approach sponsored by WHO organized by AIIPMR ( 2010-11).
Noteworthy amongst which are
- Ministry of Health & Family Welfare project, “Pilot Project on Medical Rehabilitation” implemented in 5 districts of the Country viz. Raigad-Maharashtra, Durg-Madhya Pradesh, Thrissus-Kerala, Erode-Tamil Nadu, Chittoor-Andhra Pradesh. 1995-2001.This was the first national project on CBR launched by health sector implemented by Institute as the nodal agency with organisational Enablement of Persons with Disability by Access to Medical Rehab Services” in P.H.C.Poynad of Raigad district, Maharashtra, 2004-05
- “Setting up of Rehabilitation unit of district hospital Alibaug-Raigad district” with W.H.O. support
- "Mobile Domiciliary Rehab Project” in ‘H’ East ward of Mumbai slums in collaboration with Rotary Club of Mumbai, Worli.
- W.H.O. sponsored “A Pilot Project on CBR in Mumbai Urban Slums” in S(W) Ward, 2008-09 in collaboration with MCGM
Some other collaborative central research projects implemented by this Institute include
- In collaboration with Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment
“Seating devices & Mobility Aids for Children with severe locomotor disabilities” in ollaborative in ollaboration with Panchsheel handicapped trust
- Footwear & Footcare for diabetic projects
- Myoelectric hand prostheses
- Modular Modified Flex Foot